Sunday, January 22, 2012

Putting People First

I write a lot about tech stuff in this blog, but I was reminded recently about something more important than the minutia of technology: people.

Last week I was very impressed by a group of people that I meet with monthly. A long time member of my United Pool Association chapter (UPA #31) was recently diagnosed with cancer. He has made the decision to fight it and want to have his route to come back to. Unfortunately, he will likely not be able to work for at least 4 to 6 weeks while recovering from surgery and treatment. Since he has no employees there is no one in his company to cover his pools. So last Monday, he came to our chapter with an unusual request: help cover his pools while he undergoes cancer treatment. Without exception, everyone stepped up to cover his pools without pay. This was a shining moment for our chapter.

No comments: